[Framework-Team] release schedule / phone conference

whit whit at longnow.org
Thu Nov 3 16:18:38 UTC 2005

Stefan H. Holek wrote:

> I am +0 on this. In my experience, there is *no* way to plan a
> release in detail.

I hear you loud and clear.  at some point, I think we would all benefit
from a post-mortem on the force of nature that was the 2.1 release from
your perspective and perhaps these proposals are premature without your
input.

> As all development is volunteer-driven, you have  to release what you
> have got come the time. So, if, say, people go to  the effort of
> organizing an AJAX sprint and produce great results, do  we really
> want to have their work sit around for a year?

Two things that bear clarifying.

1. This plan depends on quicker releases, between 4 - 6months, with less
features / release

2.  These are guidelines to encourage the community to think in more
organized terms of taking care of user/business needs and
developer/maintenance needs.

This is saying what the release is *about* not saying what the details
of what goes in are.  If the community refuses to play along, then
that's fine, we continue with the status quo.   This is an excercise in
changing the way we think about release, not a stick to beat people with...

The hope is that it will provide a minimal amount of structure, some
basic guiding principles for how we self organize for releases, instead
of having a plip race driven by whoever has time.   If you know your
PLIP fits better into the Developer/Infrastructure bucket or the UI
Bucket, you know a general timeframe for trying to get it included and
you can code / plan ahead.    Since most everyone who participates in
Plone release has both interests in mind, this hopefully helps pool
these effort in complementary areas.

To address Joel:

With a sane number of feature in each release, we can release more
often.  and I believe that is better marketting than whatever we are
hawking.  There is a ton of good stuff in 2.1 that is totally
unmarkettable because of the sheer amount of stuff that is in 2.1.

I think this helps us focus our story.  And as said before, these are
guideline, not exclusionary boundaries.  Undoubtably new interface and
low level improvement will be happening all the time.  And these will be
markettable.

Having less sexy releases also give marketting an off release to cover
stuff that should have been marketted before but only after hitting the
market showed their real value.

-w

> On 1. Nov 2005, at 22:03, whit wrote:
>
>> Alternating UI/Feature releases and Infrastructure Improvement  Release:
>>
>> One of the ideas that came up in our conversation was that there was
>> significant value to alternating major release between User Focus
>> and Infrastructure Focus.  In this scenario, plone 2.2 would be the
>> first infrastructure release, plone 2.3 would be the first UI release.
>>
>> There are a number of benefits to this. It clarifies what we our
>> focus is and gives the community a clear idea of what to expect.   It
>> makes us think in longer timeframes than the next release, and  does
>> the needful in providing lead time for marketting and eating  our
>> peas and carrot with our stack.
>>
>> I encourage list lurkers to give input.  right now the FWT core is
>> +1 on this and will push it out to plone-devel.
>

> --
> Anything that happens, happens.  --Douglas Adams

 | david "whit" morriss
 |
 | contact :: http://public.xdi.org/=whit

 "If you don't know where you are,
  you don't know anything at all"