[Framework-Team] release schedule / phone conference

whit whit at longnow.org
Tue Nov 1 21:03:07 UTC 2005

Tenative Release Schedule:

Dec 1:     Proposal and Review Freeze
Dec 20:  Plone 2.2 alpha 1
Feb 20:  Plone 2.2 beta 1
Mar 20: Plone 2.2 rc1

This is extrapolated from our phone conversation. The logic is that this release should be only "one" louder than 2.1.

In this line of thinking we should concentrate our focus on quality and performance on everything after the freeze date and, for this release, the freeze date is the most important thing.  NOTHING new goes in after this date. period.

Alternating UI/Feature releases and Infrastructure Improvement Release:

One of the ideas that came up in our conversation was that there was
significant value to alternating major release between User Focus and Infrastructure Focus.  In this scenario, plone 2.2 would be the first infrastructure release, plone 2.3 would be the first UI release.

There are a number of benefits to this. It clarifies what we our focus is and gives the community a clear idea of what to expect.  It makes us think in longer timeframes than the next release, and does the needful in providing lead time for marketting and eating our peas and carrot with our stack.

I encourage list lurkers to give input.  right now the FWT core is +1 on this and will push it out to plone-devel.

Phone Conference #2:

Friday 12:00pm CST.  This meeting will take 30mins and only cover the needful.  Tenative aggenda:

1. PLIP for CMF2.0
2. Release Schedule
3. Outstanding PLIPS and schedule for review (CMFPlacefulWorkflow)

please mail me any additional items that are needed on the agenda.

-w

--

 | david "whit" morriss
 |
 | contact :: http://public.xdi.org/=whit