[Framework-Team] Re: Current PLIP status

Rob Miller ra at burningman.com
Sat Dec 10 09:01:34 UTC 2005

On Dec 10, 2005, at 12:42 AM, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:04:48 -0800, Rob Miller wrote:
>>> question, what does (PLIP #102: PlonePAS) mean for CMFMember?
>>
>> CMFMember will not work w/ PlonePAS, at all.  chances are that it
>> never
>> will.  my current thought is to write a new product, based on
>> Membrane,
>> that will replace CMFMember, providing a (hopefully ContentSetup-
>> based)
>> migration path forward.  i'm hoping to start working on this at
>> the snow
>> sprint.
>> I think it does (matter).  there are quite a few folks out there
>> using
>> CMFMember, and this is going to be a show-stopper for all of them.  i
>> think scrapping it and building a new product is the way to go, and i
>> don't expect it to be terribly hard, but i'm not going to be able
>> to do
>> it alone.  RockyBurt and SashaV have already said they want to help,
>> it'd be great if we could get a few more hands.
>
> Would it help to create a fundable.org project to facilitate time or
> travel for the people with the skill to solve this problem?

certainly sponsorship helps, although at this point it's more an
issue of time than money, for me.

> I have an interest in seeing a CMFMember workalike built on top of
> Membrane/Memblets ASAP, hopefully ready for testing near the time
> Plone-2.5 moves to beta.

this may be a bit ambitious, unless someone else picks this up and
starts running with it.  i agree that we should get there as quickly
as possible, though.

> I don't personally have any CMFMember
> deployments, but I agree that migration will be an imperative for
> many.

_all_ of my deployments are CMFMember deployments, so you can rest
assured i'll be spending some time on this.  ;-).

> I also favor cooperation between two intriguing PlonePAS type-
> membership
> projects. Hopefully Helge and Jens et al. would be willing to
> converge to
> a single product supporting both facets of PlonePAS integration,
> perhaps
> PLIP-tracked for Plone-3.0.
>
>   http://svn.bluedynamics.net/svn/public/Memblets/trunk
>   http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/Membrane/trunk

i find it annoying that we have yet another instance of duplication
of efforts.  i'll be basing my work on Membrane.

> I'd like to contribute a modest sum toward a collectively funded
> effort,
> if others are interested in same.

:-).

-r