[Evangelism] [Plone-developers] Looking for talking points comparing Plone vs. Wordpress

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Fri Oct 26 12:09:38 UTC 2012

Have you looked at post v3 wp? It has changed a lot with custom content
types for example.

Dylan Jay
Technical solution manager
PretaWeb 99552830

On 26/10/2012, at 4:43 PM, Tom Cameron <tom at mooball.net> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Ed Manlove <devPyPlTw at verizon.net> wrote:
> > I'm attending a local WordCamp [1] in a couple of days - proudly wearing
> > my Plone T-Shirt - and wanted to brush up on my Plone vs. WordPress
> > talking points.  All of my Plone work has either been on my own project
> > or within Plone core (RTL, UI testing, i18n, etc) so I've never really
> > looked outwards too closely. I going to do some searching around but
> > wanted to see if anyone, in particular our Plone development shops, have
> > any notes when they talk/work with customers on showing the value of
> > Plone as compared to Wordpress.  Thanks.

Many say that Plone is an enterprise CMS and Wordpress is not. Personally I
question if Wordpress even qualifies for the name "Content Management
System".

To really be a CMS a system would expect a system to be capable of handling
content in all the possible forms it may take and Wordpress is certainly
not capable of that. And to "manage" content you would expect a system to
be able to provide fine control over access, handle a wide range of
possible workflows, version control, etc - again Wordpress is not capable
of this. So frankly I don't think Wordpress qualifies to be called a CMS.

Wordpress is a blog system with a large number of add-on features and skins
- it is great for that purpose and if your requirements match its features
well then its a quick, simple, cheap to host solution. But if you really
want "Content Management" then it is unlikely to come anywhere near a
complete solution.

Tom