[Evangelism] Looking for talking points comparing Plone vs. Wordpress

T. Kim Nguyen nguyen at uwosh.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:49:59 UTC 2012

Great info!

Re: end users, one of the things we are planning to do at Plone Symposium
Midwest is have a track (a set of talks, training, a demo area) for people
who are very new to Plone -- even people who are just still considering
whether to use Plone.  It would be good to have at least a portion of a
talk on the strengths of Plone relative to other CMS's one might be
considering.

So... Ken ... you are hereby volunteered. :)

    Kim

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Carol Ganz <carol at sixfeetup.com> wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Thanks for sharing, the info is definitely helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Carol
>

> On 10/25/12 10:07 AM, ctxlken wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> >
> > I attended a WordCamp in Chicago just a couple months ago.  I have lots
> > of notes regarding common plugins used, load-testing, caching tools
> > commonly used, etc., but in terms of the main Plone v WordPress
> > differences, I noticed these:
> >
> > WP conferences have a lot more focus on the end user, on
> > marketing/commercial sites, and on SEO topics than Plone events.
> >
> > WP developers/hosters spend a lot of time fighting security
> > vulnerabilities and their server IP being blacklisted (since it's
> > typical for a WP site to be on the same server as 100 other WP sites) -
> > a LOT!  And it scares the hell out of the marketing/management people at
> > these events to hear so much conversation about 'How do you guys fight
> > this?' from one dev to the other.
> >
> > As with many tools, some of the 'cool factor' features of WP need to be
> > disabled, if you want to have a secure site, evidently, such as the
> > 'Plugin Editor', in particular.
> >
> > WP still has limited workflow capabilities and there is no built-in
> > global dashboard of security settings, where you click on/off checkboxes
> > to give fine-grained permissions.  And most add-ons don't register
> > specific permissions to be managed from some general security settings
> > dashboard, though I did hear of some plugin that purports to handle
> > this, but again, if the other plugins don't even think that you'll be
> > managing permissions so much, they tend to not define said permissions
> > to do fine-grained things - they're usually very general permissions, as
> > in 'Admin' who gets to do everything, 'Viewer', and 'Editor' - some user
> > in between who can maybe edit a post, but not remove them, etc.
> >
> > I did see a talk on using a script to set fine-grained permissions,
> > since there is no good UI for doing so, but again, it's still dependent
> > on the plugins defining fine-grained permissions, so that you can set
> > permissions at a more granular level, and many plugins don't do that.
> >
> > Many of the top, most useful WP plugins are commercial.  Many people use
> > something called 'Jetpack'.  But I got the impression that to use some
> > of its better features, you needed to have your WP site hosted on one of
> > their preferred hosting vendors.  Don't take my word for that, though.
> >
> > Many WP plugins provide really neat features, but have really poor
> > performing queries that can drag your site down (e.g., 'Smart Tags' that
> > makes a matrix of keywords-to-tags or something and performs some
> > horrible multi-table-join queries in doing so.)  Users tend to just keep
> > adding more and more plugins to try things out and never remove them,
> > slowing down their site (with the mere existence of those plugins in
> > place.)  This is true with Plone too, but not to the same extent, since
> [...]

Plone Symposium Midwest will be hosted at UW Oshkosh June 2-9, 2013!

For UW Oshkosh Plone help and site requests, please email
plone-help at lists.uwosh.edu or visit http://uwosh.edu/ploneprojects/help

UW Oshkosh Intranet Project
http://plonedev.uwosh.edu/intranettaskforce
http://uwosh.edu/plone

Co-Chair, PloneEdu initiative for K-12 & higher education
http://ploneedu.org

Twitter: @tkimnguyen