[Evangelism] Looking for talking points comparing Plone vs. Wordpress

ctxlken ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Thu Oct 25 14:07:18 UTC 2012

Hi Ed,

I attended a WordCamp in Chicago just a couple months ago.  I have lots
of notes regarding common plugins used, load-testing, caching tools
commonly used, etc., but in terms of the main Plone v WordPress
differences, I noticed these:

WP conferences have a lot more focus on the end user, on
marketing/commercial sites, and on SEO topics than Plone events.

WP developers/hosters spend a lot of time fighting security
vulnerabilities and their server IP being blacklisted (since it's
typical for a WP site to be on the same server as 100 other WP sites) -
a LOT!  And it scares the hell out of the marketing/management people at
these events to hear so much conversation about 'How do you guys fight
this?' from one dev to the other.

As with many tools, some of the 'cool factor' features of WP need to be
disabled, if you want to have a secure site, evidently, such as the
'Plugin Editor', in particular.

WP still has limited workflow capabilities and there is no built-in
global dashboard of security settings, where you click on/off checkboxes
to give fine-grained permissions.  And most add-ons don't register
specific permissions to be managed from some general security settings
dashboard, though I did hear of some plugin that purports to handle
this, but again, if the other plugins don't even think that you'll be
managing permissions so much, they tend to not define said permissions
to do fine-grained things - they're usually very general permissions, as
in 'Admin' who gets to do everything, 'Viewer', and 'Editor' - some user
in between who can maybe edit a post, but not remove them, etc.

I did see a talk on using a script to set fine-grained permissions,
since there is no good UI for doing so, but again, it's still dependent
on the plugins defining fine-grained permissions, so that you can set
permissions at a more granular level, and many plugins don't do that.

Many of the top, most useful WP plugins are commercial.  Many people use
something called 'Jetpack'.  But I got the impression that to use some
of its better features, you needed to have your WP site hosted on one of
their preferred hosting vendors.  Don't take my word for that, though.

Many WP plugins provide really neat features, but have really poor
performing queries that can drag your site down (e.g., 'Smart Tags' that
makes a matrix of keywords-to-tags or something and performs some
horrible multi-table-join queries in doing so.)  Users tend to just keep
adding more and more plugins to try things out and never remove them,
slowing down their site (with the mere existence of those plugins in
place.)  This is true with Plone too, but not to the same extent, since
with WP, installing a new plugin is a simple point-and-click - no
restart of any services, usually.

Hopefully, some of this helps.  Thanks for "representin'" Plone! It's
good for us to go to these  types of events to see how we stack up.

Thanks,
Ken