[Evangelism] CMS smackdown

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon May 28 23:07:01 UTC 2012

On 29/05/2012, at 7:41 AM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> Take a look at http://www.slideshare.net/djay/plone-pwns
> for positives. Personally I'd go for security and permissions model
> even for a technical group.

Actually there are two slides in there that need explaining.
The key point about the w2tech market share slide is plone enjoys high
market share in the top 100,000 sites. This graph is old, the latest
now shows Plone above drupal for larger sites. The important point is
that this explains why many people won't have heard of Plone. Using an
expression I stole from the drupal community, Plone is truely "the
elevator that goes all the way up".
The point about realstory map slide is that Plone is the ONLY single
product that features in three categories. All the others are large
vendors with multiple products, such as MS, Adobe etc. No other open
source CMS does this. This attests to Plone's flexibility. The fact
that it gets used widely for both internets and public websites also
shows it's flexibiliy. Again it is the elevator that goes all the way
up. "Don't get stuck when your needs outgrow your CMS".

With regard to security I think the @lulsec slide is really powerful.
Both fbi.gov and cia.gov sites would have been targeted heavily.
Neither were hacked. If they could have hacked them they would have.
Both are Plone.
The stats on vulnerabilities vs Drupal etc you have to be careful
about as you have to show that Plone is widely used and exposed
otherwise they will dismiss them thinking incorrectly that the
vulnerabilities do exist in Plone undetected.

Hope that helps.