[Evangelism] CMS smackdown

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon May 28 15:04:41 UTC 2012

Hi all,
  I'm going to be representing Plone at a fairly informal local event, BathCamp who are running a CMS Smackdown:

http://bathcamp.org/events/cms-smackdown/

I've got 10 minutes to talk about 5 things I love about Plone and 5 things I hate. I'm up against 7 other CMSs. So I'm trying to think of my list of things. Many of the people at the event will generally be techies, so I won't be afraid to talk about some of the technical aspects. However the bit I'm struggling with is coming up with 5 things I hate ;) I'm hoping to mention how we are improving the things I hate

So my draft list so far:

5 Things I love about Plone:

- The Community (international events, people, etc)
- Buildout + Deployment (dev.cfg -> staging.cfg -> live.cfg, versioning eggs etc)
- The ZODB (pervasive data store… no need to think SQL etc)
- Diazo (Great way to theme sites + demo)
- Python [1]

5 Things I hate about Plone:

- Legacy (talk about ripping out stuff, Zope 4 etc)
- Documentation (talk about the swamp of old docs, but point out good new stuff eg. Developer Manual)
- Perception by Python developers (that is is old hat and boring: point out it does its job well and is mature)
- Everything in the catalog (talk about navigation using it etc. Point out move to parent pointers, use of Solr etc)
- Too easy to shoot yourself in the foot performance-wise (i.e., as ZODB is pervasive, you can accidentally load every object in the ZODB or mutate things you don't mean to).

Any thoughts on this list? Any other good viewpoints, ideas? Bearing in mind I have just two minutes per point!

-Matt

[1] Great quote from colleague: "When I used to program in Java I used to first think how to solve the problem, then I had to think how to code that in Java. With Python I think how to solve the problem, then just write it"