[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Wed May 23 08:31:44 UTC 2012

On 23/05/2012, at 6:19 PM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

> On 23 May 2012, at 08:38, Dylan Jay wrote:
>
>> Since it's python we could use snake names. Plone cobra. Plone
>> Anaconda. Plone Boa etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_snakes_by_common_name
>> )
>
> I really quite like that idea.
>
>> Previously there was a suggestion of famous beaches. That makes
>> international which is nice. Plone Brighton, Plone Bondi, Plone Del
>> Mar, Plone Ventura (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_beaches)
>> Alteration can sounds good so a theme of words starting with P?
>
> Yeah, that is very good too and I like the international aspect of
> it. I think I like it even better than the snake one. We just need
> to watch out as Apple codenamed a laptop Pismo, which is a beach in
> California. I don't think they were on a beach theme though as the
> others in the series were Lombard (I presume the street in SF), and
> Wall Street.
>
> We have to have a sprint / release party at each one of these
> beaches as we go along right? ;)
>
> I've always thought the Ubuntu release names were a bit naff. Whilst
> I think they work great for developers I always feel a bit daft
> referring to Breezy Badger or Oneiric Ocelot in a business setting.

same goes for android release names. I think ice cream sandwich is fun
for developers but your average person walking into a phone shop is
probably going to feel weird asking for it.
This name thing will be tough. It has to be both "enterprisy" and cool
for developers. A job for  whoever is drinking beer at PSE right now :)