[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone

Mark A Corum markcorum at gmail.com
Wed May 23 06:19:57 UTC 2012

I think the idea of a contest to drive new users to Plone is a good one.
 But trophies? Not good.  I work at a university and work with students
every week with campaigns.  They see trophies as a joke - artifacts of old
time thinking with about as much attractiveness as an eight track or
cassette tape.  Please don't date Plone as old and tired in this way.

When dealing with competitors to whom acceptance means jobs, money, etc -
this is just a bit weak.  There are much better, more forward thinking ways
to recognize excellent work.  We should do this - but in a BIG way with
some serious recognition.

Naming releases after beers is a non-starter because of copyrights.  The
joke only works when you use actual beer names - and sadly that is a
copyright licensing issue. While I'm glad this April Fool's joke has taken
on a life of its own, beer naming works for developer culture - and doesn't
work for corporate, education or many foreign cultures which attach
negative connotations to alcohol. Armin is right on that one. Alienating
potential users is not a good idea,and really doesn't profit us in a
significant way.

Likewise, galaxies lack personality and individuality.  Few people can name
a galaxy if you show them a picture of it - and why would Plone Andromeda
be thought of differently than Plone Large Magellanic Cloud or M-102.
 Apple release names tie features and themes to big cat personalities - and
Ubuntu names are loaded with personality by pairing a descriptor with their
animals.  Effective non-number releases need to be sensible and descriptive
to non-developers.  And they need to be memorable and cross-cultural.

Mark

Mark A Corum

Writer  |  User Interface Designer  |  Online Marketer  |  Certified
ScrumMaster  |  Campaign Hack and Spinmeister

markcorum on AOL, Googletalk, Google Groups, MSN, Skype, Meebo, Facebook,
Twitter and Yahoo

“No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.” - Voltaire