[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Wed May 23 00:39:36 UTC 2012

On 23/05/2012, at 7:22 AM, Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] wrote:

> +1
>
> Maybe Mark Corum can post the link to his beer-branded release names
> PLIP (originally, an April Fool's joke) ?  I think it was gathering
> steam as a real PLIP last I looked.
>
> I vote for Plone 5 - Barnstormer  (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5049/13084/?ba=hunteraw
>  ), which was my favorite ale at the Bristol Plone conf.  :)
>
> We'd have to also be sure to not have conflicting numbers included
> in release names.  As I recall from my Java days, it was a real mess
> explaining that JDK 2 actually included Java 1.2 or some such mess.

+10 for named major releases. However I think beer names has with
copyright?

In terms of attracting developers I think this is a fantastic idea. I
have a theory that popularity of frameworks can be attributed at least
20% to it's name. Sounds crazy but consider this: no matter how cool a
technology each one of us is going to feel some reluctance
recommending it to a friend over beer if the name is boring or worse,
embarrassing. Ruby on Rails, Flask, Bottle... all cool names. Zope,
Ice cream sandwich... not so much :)
This is our opportunity to modernise and make Plone part of a name
which is cool.

Plone 5 is also a game changer. Diazo and Deco is going to change
Plone into one the best through the web site creation tools around I
believe. Maybe Plone 4.3 could be Plone Diazo because of the theming
editor, and Plone 5 be Plone Deco?