[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone

Maurizio Delmonte maurizio.delmonte at abstract.it
Tue May 22 17:23:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Matt Hamilton <matth at netsight.co.uk> wrote:

> Not sure if it means anything but our company submitted 4 talks for
> pyconau this year. The two plone related talks were the two rejected.
> It got me to thinking about the plone communities relationship to the
> python community.
> I think open source is spread by fans, people not directly involved with
> the software itself. Those fans exist in a much larger community than plone
> itself. It makes me think that if the python community aren't fans of
> Plone, then where are our fans?
> Sorry it's a little negative and off topic.
>

> Similar experiences with Europython the past few years. There were a load
> of Plone talks submitted this year, and the only ones accepted were the
> ones that did not mention Plone in the title.

actually, I have two talks in Europython this year: one mentions both Plone
and Django in the title, the other just declares "professional content
management with Python in 2012"..

both the talks are in italian, so good chance are there that they were
short in proposals ;)

Nonetheless, Django itself this year had a very low profile presence at
Europython (try to search for it here
https://ep2012.europython.eu/p3/schedule/ep2012/ and you'll see just 3
talks on Django, then two more, one very tech unrelated and the other from
me..)

I believe we need to be present at PyCons as much as we can, to make people
aware that Plone is well alive and that plone could serve them well
(finally we are made out of Python, aren't we?).

I also believe that Matt & c. are right in saying that we should try to
attract devs using other channels, universities being a good alternative to
me.
Let's inspire more people to do this!

Maurizio

--

Maurizio Delmonte - [maurizio.delmonte at abstract.it]

Abstract Open Solutions [http://www.abstract.it] - Tel:  +39 081 06 08 213

*Join me at EuroPython* [http://goo.gl/mmV25]

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.it.html

Ai sensi del d.lgs. 196 del 30 giugno 2003, recante disposizioni per la
tutela delle persone e di altri soggetti rispetto al trattamento dei dati
personali, si precisa che questa email è inviata unicamente ai destinatari
sopra esposti, con espressa diffida di leggerla, copiarla, diffonderla ed
usarla senza autorizzazione. Se avete ricevuto questa email per errore, vi
preghiamo di distruggerla immediatamente e contattarci tramite uno dei
recapiti sopra indicati.