[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Tue May 22 14:53:06 UTC 2012

On 22 May 2012, at 15:41, Dylan Jay wrote:

>> One thing I did at a conference this weekend was to install Plone from scratch during a 5-minute lightning talk. I can do it in under 3 minutes. Basically running virtualenv, paster, buildout, bin/instance fg. The idea was to show to python people that Plone is *not* some difficult thing to get going with.
>
> for the record the talk I did submit didn't mention plone. It was called something like "zero to website hero in 30min" and was going to a complete themed site from start to end in 30min talk slot. Now I'm just going to have to do the same thing in a 5min lightning talk slot :)

Damn… sounds like would be a great talk. Shame it wasn't accepted. That's going to be a fun lightning talk ;)

>> The question of whether trying to promote Plone at the PyCon-type events is worth the effort is a fundamental one. I go through phases of thinking its not worth the effort and we are banging our heads against brick walls… but then, I'm not sure how else we are going to get new developers into the community. We can work on the business level and aim at business conferences and do case study talks and the likes and hope that business decision makes choose Plone and drag developers along that way.
>
> We need developers but they don't have to be die hard python devs. Python devs like making frameworks not themes :) Maybe we should be speaking at php conferences :)

No, exactly. That is kind of why I sometimes think that Europython/PyCon is not the place we need to be promoting Plone. The problem being I don't know *where* we should be promoting it in terms of attracting new developers.

Also, as a community we have plenty of our own events. If I was a Plone developer and could only afford to go to one conference then it will be a Plone one, not a general python one. Or put another way, as an employer of Plone developers I can see much more value sending people to Plone conferences than Python conferences. Hence often Plone is not that well represented proportionally at PyCon-type events as they are too busy at their own events.

I speak at least once a year a the local university and promote Plone there… especially the community. Showing them photos of all the events worldwide and telling some of the stories of meeting people and what they are up to in the Plone world is great. I would love to be able to try and push that further and try and get more people doing at more universities etc.

-Matt