[Evangelism] PyCon Japan 2012 and Plone

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue May 22 12:00:38 UTC 2012

On 22/05/2012, at 5:47 PM, Shigeo Honda wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm Shigeo Honda, Plone Users Group Japan. Will you give us some
> advice?
>
> PyCon Japan 2012 will be held on September 15 -16 in Tokyo. PyCon
> Japan organizers asked  a couple of python related users group, such
> as Django, SciPy, Pyramid, Plone etc, to have some sessions in the
> event. And they request proposals.
>
> I worry about PyCon is 'die-hard' python developer event and not
> suitable  for Plone. So, I'd like to know how Plone community work
> with PyCon in other countries. What kind of session is good for PyCon
> attendees?  Please let me know your experience in PyCon.
>
> I appreciate any advice and comments.

Not sure if it means anything but our company submitted 4 talks for
pyconau this year. The two plone related talks were the two rejected.
It got me to thinking about the plone communities relationship to the
python community.
I think open source is spread by fans, people not directly involved
with the software itself. Those fans exist in a much larger community
than plone itself. It makes me think that if the python community
aren't fans of Plone, then where are our fans?
Sorry it's a little negative and off topic.