[Evangelism] Looking for talking points comparing Plone vs. Wordpress

David Bain david.bain at alteroo.com
Tue Dec 11 17:32:49 UTC 2012

I'm fresh from teaching wordpress in a web management course, I think
this was a good experience as it helped me to get some hands on with
the system. The PHP vs Python concern is less of a talking point if
you're dealing with site administrators and designers who only know
CSS and HTML. The issue then becomes how easy it is to customize a
theme using the skillset that you already have, don't underestimate
how confusing it is to see something like this in a header.php file:

<!DOCTYPE html>

    <head>

        <title><?php echo get_bloginfo('name'); ?> <?php wp_title(); ?></title>

get_bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php echo
get_bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
get_bloginfo('description'); ?>" />

        <!-- Style Sheets -->
		<?php
			print '<style type="text/css" media="all">';
			print '@import "'.get_template_directory_uri().'/css/reset.css";';
			print '@import "'.get_template_directory_uri().'/css/screen.php";';
			print '</style>';
		?>

		<!--[if IE 7]>
            <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php echo
get_template_directory_uri(); ?>/css/ie7.css" type="text/css"
media="screen" />
        <![endif]-->

		<?php
			if ( function_exists( 'get_option_tree') ) {
				$phonetext = get_option_tree( 'value_phonetext' );
				$phoneicon = get_option_tree( 'value_phoneicon' );
				$offertext = get_option_tree( 'value_offertext' );
			}
        ?>

        <?php wp_head(); ?>
    </head>

For comparison, I would show the code for an html template in Plone
(which is basically just html) and put that next to the code for a
wordpress theme on a single slide.

I'd argue that, while installation and setup is pretty trivial with
wordpress, customization is becoming trickier. I gauge this by how
hard it is to teach to non-programmers.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM, dtlenergy <dtlenergy at gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing I would say in favour of Wordpress is that  more people know how to
> program in PHP and use MySql than know
> Python.

--- The best part about UDP jokes is that nobody cares if you get them.