[Evangelism] Plone vs Joomla vs Wordpress

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Tue Aug 28 01:59:46 UTC 2012

On 28/08/2012, at 8:47 AM, PatDole wrote:

> I am using WP for years but a business partner got me interested in
> Plone,
> because i is faster and more secure.  But fewer commercial web hosts
> support
> the requirements for Plone than support the requirements for
> WordPress.
>
> Considering all you can get for WP i.e. different themes, plug ins,
> i am
> still wondering if i even should try Plone.  Still working on it

The reason you'd try Plone is flexibility. If you plan on managing a
lot of content, pdfs etc with many different editors then eventually
you will reach the limits of WP or Joomla. Plone is the elevator that
goes all the way up.

I'd recommend the best way to get started is ploud.com which comes
bundled with Diazo + lots of plugins which allows to create many
different kinds of sites without having to write code.

If you do need to write code or want to install plugins not supported
by ploud.com, the next easiest step to having a public plone site
isn't that clear.

The best advice I can give is to get a $10pm ish server from Amazon
Ec2 or rackspace cloud or similar and follow the steps here

http://collective-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getstarted/installation.html

We were working on a service that automated these steps for you, and
I'd be really interested in some feed back from you.

The service is called plonefactory.com.
You go there and it gives you advice on Amazon, or rackspace etc. Lets
you select one of the virtual server providers and then sign up to them.
Plonefactory then asks you your amazon or rackspace credentials and
will then do everything to create that new virtual server, configure
it and install plone so all you have to do in the end is log in and
start using plone. It will also send you a zip file to install on your
computer so install and test plugins locally and then one click
install them on your remote server.

If such a service existed would it make you feel more comfortable
about trying plone? or would you still prefer more hosters who
specifically said they are "plone compatible"?

btw, to other plone devs on this list. We haven't made much progress
on plonefactory in the last year. It's a gevent based pyramid app.
Would anyone be interested in helping finish it off if we open sourced
it?