[Evangelism] Water and Stone Open Source CMS report

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Wed Nov 30 16:17:46 UTC 2011

Yes, the concept of ploud.com could offer this type of pain-free,
hit-the-ground-running experience with Plone (especially if it included
a demo that covered more of what you could do with Plone, now that you
have a Plone site.  A 'Getting Started' tutorial of some sort.)

But the problem is most of the world hasn't even heard of Plone, much
less Ploud.

90% or more of the larger hosting companies, even open source-focused
hosting companies only provide a cPanel or Plesk install via
single-click of Wordpress, Joomla, or some other PHP-based system that
runs on the more typical LAMP stack they've been hosting for years:
Apache with PHP and MySQL.

IMHO, if we really care to fight the single-click website-in-a-night
crowd, we need to start heavily pitching the GoDaddy's of the world to
offer Plone through their $10/mo Plesk/cPanel sign-up configuration process.

I think this is how most Wordpress sites get started up and not through
novices downloading/installing/hosting on their own.  If we are able to
get large hosting companies to give Plone a chance on their cPanel/Plesk
setups, Plone could take advantage of much larger mind share, exposure,
awareness, and hopefully adoption.

Just putting it there, though, isn't going to do the job.  We might see
the 'fiddler' who wants to try out a bunch of systems give Plone a try,
or those who specifically were seeking out a Ploud-like solution giving
it a try, but I still think the main problem is we need to create the
demand still, and that comes from marketing, from blogging, from reviews
by analysts and everyday webmasters.  If people hear good things about
it or see a great site that's using it, they get curious and want to try
it out.  Just adding another checkbox along side Wordpress, Joomla,
Xoops and the like when people sign-up for $10/mo hosting just still
isn't enough.

I won't even take on the hurdle of convincing larger hosting companies
that they can host Plone as resource/cost-effectively as PHP-based tools
or that going through all the hoops of supporting the necessary
Zope/lxml/PIL dependencies will be worthwhile for their business, when
people aren't clamoring for it.

Hate to be Debbie Downer - just pointing out the obvious barriers.  That
doesn't mean we can't overcome them, but it won't be easy.  I'd love to
see widely available single-click shared hosting mass-appeal options for
Plone hosting and it'd be really helpful in terms of lowering the bar
for getting people started.

Just as the Marketing team started 2-3 years ago to make a concerted
effort to have Plone represented at the more popular CMS industry
conferences, perhaps it's time to focus on approaching some of the
larger hosting companies to offer Plone to new shared hosting customers.

Thoughts?

Ken