[Evangelism] Water and Stone Open Source CMS report

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Wed Nov 30 01:07:22 UTC 2011

Yet another 'popularity contest' report (on the heals of the PacktPub
open source awards ( http://www.packtpub.com/open-source-awards-home ),
which is merely a vote for your favorite CMS, not any evaluation of
which CMS tools do XYZ better than the others out there.

Unfortunately, to some degree we do have to fight the popularity wars
too, but I don't see Plone ever being a popular as the
point-and-click-$5/mo-and-here-is-your-blog Wordpress generators out there.

I think that for the plone.com site and when marketing Plone in general,
we have to be sure to point out that while you certainly can use it for
the 5-10 page brochure site, it's much more powerful than that - that
numerous other CMS tools can't compare in terms of security,
scalability, fine-grained permission management, workflow, check-in/out
support, audit trail, etc., etc.

To help fight this particular PR battle (with the producers of this
report, which I believe I've seen in previous years), I suggest that we
get in contact with its author and work to get included in the process
for their next report to help them get a large enough sample size and
help fight the reports built-in bias.  The author (information on last
page of report) has published PHP-based CMS books on WP, Joomla, and the
like.

Visiting Water and Stone's website, it appears all they do is churn out
Joomla, WordPress, and Drupal sites, so there is other concern for bias.
http://www.waterandstone.com/portfolio

As mentioned early on and throughout the report, there is some
self-admitted concern over their data due to the lack of marketing of
the survey within some project communities.  Is that really the way to
get a well-balanced set of data?  To solicit the specific CMS
communities to pine for their favorite tool?  No, it isn't, but as long
as their are dolts out there who follow popularity reports when making
software selections, we need to get into the game and submit surveys
from our own community as well.

We could also ask the author to 'explain more fully' some of the metrics
represented in the report - some which seem conflicting on the surface,
such as:  If there is such a low awareness of Plone by respondents (one
graphic), then how is it that so many of them are stating they are
abandoning Plone (another graphic)?  And if so few have any awareness of
Plone, how is it there are so many who have evaluated it, but decided to
use something else?

In the section toward the end where Plone and Joomla are mentioned as
tools for 'concern', the author admits that a few things don't quite add
up.  That while the brand reputation metric that Plone supposedly does
so poorly in is so low, it doesn't explain how it is that Plone is in
the top 4 tools for # downloads or in the top half for installs, and
other metrics they measured.

Perhaps if they attempted to have survey respondents who were outside of
their own client base who seem to mostly use WP/Drupal/Joomla, they'd
see more accurate results.  Then again, I'm not convinced this report
attempts to get accurate results.  But at least it's something for the
web manager dipping their toes into the open source CMS market where
there are only so many good evaluation reports freely available, like
this one.

Cheers all,

Ken