[Evangelism] virtual appliances for Plone evaluation

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Thu May 26 14:26:37 UTC 2011

Kim,

This has been talked about numerous times - in fact, a year and two
weeks ago, at 2010 CMS Expo, we had Calvin, Nate, Alan, Alexander, and a
couple others all saying the same.  One of the things about that
conference is that it smacks you in the face how much better Plone is
than Joomla, for instance, but how much they've kicked our butt in the
area of mind share due to the availability of single-click options via
cPanel and Plesk setups with the ubiquitous $10/mo hosting providers.
And with the topic of getting Plone added to such installers offered
from the likes of GoDaddy, etc. came the idea of - hey, we should really
have virtual appliances with an Edu stack, an NGO stack, an Intranet
stack of add-ons already in place.

This is a repeated topic - I even remember a BoF at the Seattle
conference about doing vertical stack distros, but nothing has come to
fruition, and now it's so much simpler with the release of an
edu-buildout.cfg, for example.

If you guys get something rolled out, we all need to coordinate with
Mark Corum (Marketing) and the Plone.org web site team on how to make it
extremely easy to get at this information - perhaps from the Plone
installers download page?  Just spit-balling - we'll all have our own
ideas (this is a good place to put them), but again, it needs to be
coordinated and the information needs to be easily found, so that you
guys aren't wasting your time - so that someone can actually find your
VMs images easily and get using them.

I really hope this is the start of finally executing on something that's
been talked about for a long, long time.  Go get 'em, Guy/Kim!

Mark - if  you're listening/reading, any comments on next steps for
these guys?

Ken