[Evangelism] virtual appliances for Plone evaluation

T. Kim Nguyen nguyen at uwosh.edu
Thu May 26 13:14:21 UTC 2011

Guy Heckman and I are putting together a VMWare appliance and a VirtualBox appliance for Plone 4.0.5.

We thought it would be a good way to ease people into trying out Plone.  If you look at vmware.com/appliances there are many out there for other CMSs, but none for Plone.  Same at other virtual appliance sites below. This idea stemmed from our PloneEdu buildout project (first a buildout, then a custom unified installer, and then an appliance)...

Is this something that should be part of the Plone marketing effort?  Below is the rest of a message I sent out to the plone-website team yesterday - sorry for the duplicate-ish message but this idea probably falls in a couple of places (plone.org site, documentation, marketing).  Has this been considered before?  Other questions/thoughts below.

	Kim

There are a couple of places we can (eventually) get them hosted:

http://vmware.com/appliances/directory/cat/502

and

http://virtualboximages.com/

and possibly

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/

Or we could use BitTorrent to distribute them from someplace else.

Is there interest in pointing to these appliances from plone.org?  Perhaps making a plone.org/appliances or plone.org/eval section?  The point of these appliances is to make it easy for someone to evaluate Plone.  There are a lot of appliances out there for other CMSs.  We could make them for a mix of OSs as well as for things like the PloneEdu buildout.  Do we want to set some ground rules on what kinds of documentation goes with these, or what they can contain, and should we organize now who will maintain these as OS and Plone versions come out?