[Evangelism] [Product-Developers] Early Bird Deco Explorers Needed - Idea of setting up "Plone HandsOn Meetings"

Armin Stroß-Radschinski developer at acsr.de
Fri Jan 21 12:57:43 UTC 2011

Hi  Geir,
unfortunately we have to wait some time for my feedback on Deco,
because I am in other projects now. But...

The story of creating a new User-Group Session Format

Origin

Last time we had a local user group meeting in december, Timo
Stollenwerk did a great wrapup of the Plone Conf input onthe state of
Plone and the future roadmap. We showed my running deco buildout to
give the audience a live feeling of Deco and Dexterity.

Both are much more TTW content creation than developers want to mention.

The idea

Some days after the meeting Jan Ulrich Hasecke and I took the time to
reflect the format of our meetings and how we can improve the
experience and take our community further.

I had the idea to make coworking sessions similar to sprints, but not
focused on the development, but more aiming at finishing the real
world tasks of integrators setting up sites but now also doing this
side by side in a coworking session. This should not be compareable
with barcamps nor learning camps.

Jan Ulrich suggested a name we could use internationally for this kind
of events:

" Plone HandsOn Meetings"

The concept

A typical starting/primer topic can be coming together and setting up
Deco buildouts, Configuring Dexterity Types TTW and do some
roundtripping development in the filesystem. Then styling this output
with Diazo in the next steps should be a great experience either you
are already a Plone infected person or curious.

In fact the difference to a "workshop" like we did the last years on
the FrOSCon conferences is not that great, but changing the name
changes the audience.

The didactic base for these sessions could be a web-platform
containing screencasts, slides and prezies etc. to be reused as entry
lessions. This is "chain reaction ware". Every effort invested in this
direction should pay back and increase the community spreading factor
from linear to logarithmic.

One important source thing should be a general "HowTo contribute" to
this ressource. We have a lot of stuff at Plone.org taht can be reused
but with different focus / wording.

cheers

Armin