[Evangelism] Bad result for Plone at Europython

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Apr 29 19:59:51 UTC 2011

On 4/29/2011 5:54 AM, Armin Stroß-Radschinski wrote:
> Apple is using the Family of "The Kings of Cats" for nearly a decade to
> keep permanent "Tension" for the new.

And I just went to an Ubuntu release party for "Natty Narwhal" last
night, too, complete with a Narwhal cake. I don't know why, but that
cheesy stuff works even with the cool kids. Look what renaming it
"Pyramid" did for BFG. Same shit, different day. But now everybody is
talking about Pyramid and how it's not made by aliens. I'm beginning to
believe that web, uh, "solution" wars are destined to be won by the most
shamelessly self-promotional.

> So I make a suggestion to rename future minor releases after Galaxies.
> To boldly go...

Brilliant.

Although, most galaxies have names like "NGC 1369." And the limited
number of ones that do have common names are not that exciting or have
weird associations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galaxies#List_of_named_galaxies

Maybe naming after constellations might yield better choices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_constellations

Plone has always had release code names, including ones for the cool
kids (although I'm not sure how cool Kyuss was. :) But the code names
were pretty much only familiar to the developers.

I'm not sure when Plone 5 comes along, being so radically different from
the previous Plones, that maybe the whole thing shouldn't be renamed to
get away from all the baggage of the past. The downside is the great
investment in the Plone brand. Whatever the associations, at least the
Plone name is well known.

But I would look forward to the release of "Sagittarius" aka Plone 5. :)

Some problems... There are constellations which are already brand names:
Hercules, aforementioned Phoenix. There are some crappy constellation
names: Cancer, Lupus. "Traditional" astronomical names are
Greco-centric, ignoring that there are also long lists of both Arabic
and Chinese astronomical names.

It's possible that star names might yield an ever better pool of names:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_traditional_star_names

> The WPD in Germany this year, for example, was medium successful because
> we had local holidays. If we use a graphical overview over such data for
> planning we can avoid this for single Events. The other solution is to
> spread the local WPDs over one month to generate more constant noise. So
> the failure leads to improving by review. Lets use Plone to manage it,
> and tell the story LOUD.

It should possibly be World Plone *Month* (e.g., April), giving local
groups more latitude as to what day of the month is best for them. I
think there would be better participation from local groups if the day
itself wasn't imposed from above. It sounds good in theory to say that
people all over the world will be doing WPD all on the same day. But
only if that's actually the case.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530