[Evangelism] Bad result for Plone at Europython

Armin Stroß-Radschinski developer at acsr.de
Fri Apr 29 09:54:53 UTC 2011

Hi Matt
Am 29.04.2011 um 08:50 schrieb Matt Hamilton:

>> You are right. With the new German Plone brochure – did you get
>> some in
>> Sorrento? – we cover exactly the target group "business" and
>> "simply
>> mortals" interested in content management –
>
> Yes, we did get some here. They are AMAZING! Really, really good
> job. Now
> we need to start on translations ;)
nice to hear...;-)
of course!
I think our (Plone Community) current brochures (the one Netsight did
and DZUG) perfectly match different audiences and together we address
more!)

We need more media coverage from different angles. Matching points
between messages on the joints on different channels should glue this
to form a "sovereign" umbrella to reach wider audiences.

>> But! We constantly need to attract new developers as well. And not
>> only
>> new developers but new young developers with cool ideas, full of
>> enthusiasm and the spirit to try out new things.
>>
>> If we don't get them, maturity will be the last state before decay.
>
> This is very true. However I think what we were saying last night
> was that
> the word 'Plone' (or 'zope') has been around for a while now, and so
> is (I
> think) perceived by some to be not that exciting. If we want to
> attract
> more developers then I think we need to focus on a slightly different
> tactic. Maybe showing some of the new cool technologies coming up, or
> focus on the community itself.... I mean who *wouldn't* want to be sat
> here on a nice warm evening in Sorrento sipping whisky with such an
> amazing bunch of people ;)
The germans have the word of "old wine in new bottles". This is not a
quality promise!

But experience makes clear that even experts taste cheap wine in brand
bottles excellent (They may not even check if it is red or white).

Typo3 is having "Phoenix" as a brand for their next evolutional step.
Buzzwords are hot air but they work well for communication where the
goal is to clamp the message to the symbol.
Apple is using the Family of "The Kings of Cats" for nearly a decade
to keep permanent "Tension" for the new.
So we have to keep Plone but make permanent "Illusion of beeing
straight ahead".

The renaming of the technologies to Diazo, Dexterity and Deco (3D) was
a cool step with aliteration as an achnor in the brains. But we missed
to throw the anchor not on our island but to fix him at the wings of a
spaceship!

So I make a suggestion to rename future minor releases after Galaxies.
To boldly go...

Lets have a strategy to Plone permanent "cool again!" (not only
shortcoming tactics)
We should not look to much after others. We need focusing our own
strenght and make this our USP because WE believe in it. Apple does NO
product/market research. They simply make a cool product for themself
and TELL and SHOW it to everyone that it works and WHY.

The WPD in Germany this year, for example, was medium successful
because we had local holidays. If we use a graphical overview over
such data for planning we can avoid this for single Events. The other
solution is to spread the local WPDs over one month to generate more
constant noise. So the failure leads to improving by review. Lets use
Plone to manage it, and tell the story LOUD.

Improving the communication quality inside our community and into the
world is the key to gain acceptance.

Armin