[Evangelism] Bad result for Plone at Europython

Raphael Ritz r.ritz at biologie.hu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 20 10:02:34 UTC 2011

On 4/20/11 10:54 AM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2011, at 08:24, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:

>> On 20.04.11 09:19, Maurizio Delmonte wrote:
>> ears
>>>
>>> Also, I register a very low pull on pylons + pyramid (just 127 of
>> 158), so,
>>> what kind of people has voted this set of sessions?
>>
>> Hard to say, but I saw some tweets and facebook entries with "please
>> vote for my talk" though not for the Plone talk.
>>
>> If there is no interest in Plone in the Python Community, then there is
>> also not much interest in the Europython in the Plone Community. Maybe
>> the drawback of having its own conference?
>
> This is an interesting thought. I personally have submitted talks to Europython the past few years, and either myself or colleagues have done Plone talks there. This year I'm going to Plone Conf in San Francisco, Plone Open Gardens in Sorrento, and the Plone Symposium East in the US. I didn't even have time to *think* about Europython... to be honest it was only two or three weeks ago I found out where it was even being held.
>
> Historically Plone has had poor reception at Europython.

Depends on how far back you go:

3 years ago http://ep2008.europython.eu/ it was stated upfront:
"EuroPython is an annual volunteer-run conference for the communities
around the Python programming language, including the Plone and Zope
communities."

http://wiki.python.org/moin/EuroPython/ has more links for the
historically interested.

In particular I like
http://lwn.net/Articles/37835/

"Guido van Rossum: State of Zope 3

I'll be representing Jim Fulton who couldn't come here. ..."

IIRC the idea to have Europython in the first place was
born at a "Zope Barbecue" in Berlin, maybe this one
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/gB3ldzHkTZwqJ9dw67hz

I'm sure Martijn Faassen would know ;-)

Cheers,

	Raphael