[Evangelism] Bad result for Plone at Europython

Maurizio Delmonte maurizio.delmonte at abstract.it
Wed Apr 20 09:51:55 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Matt Hamilton <matth at netsight.co.uk>wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2011, at 08:24, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
>
> Historically Plone has had poor reception at Europython. I think this is
> mainly because it is not the 'cool new thing'. I mean, it is a bit boring
> really... we have been around a while, we have solved all the hard problems,
> we have a great community and we did NoSQL 10 years ago. The Plone community
> just get on and do things. An interesting example is that two years ago
> there were *loads* of talks about Django on the agenda. The following year,
> just one.

that's explaining my whole point when i say: "plone is no more perceived as
a cutting edge technology" :)

*If* I go to Europython this year, and hoping to do the Lightning talk that
> I didn't get to do last year, which was 'From python to Plone in 3 minutes'
> in which I will do a live demo of going from a plain python 2.6 install to
> Plone 4 up and running in 3 minutes.

we should push this in a "nice" video format (a screencast or something..)
on the "python community channels" someway ;)
also, we could push this on plone.org (or I'm missing it if it's already
there..)

> I still think a lot of people are wary of Zope/Plone as it still has a bad
> reputation from before when it was a big monolithic thing you had to swallow
> whole.

+1
I think that senior python programmers are negative biased about plone (and
zope) as they were ages ago, and they tend to pull on their side python
new-comers. That's why i'm sad, and why i think that a Plone booth at such
event could help letting new people in (not rare that, after I talk a bit
about plone as it is now to non-plone python developers, they say "oh
really? :)" )

a plone booth could push a message like: "Professional web content
management with Python? Let's Plone!"

> I'm hoping that Pyramid goes some way to helping alleviate these fears as
> it is taking a lot of the technology we know and trust and putting it in
> front of a new audience.

+1

Maurizio

--

Maurizio Delmonte - [maurizio.delmonte at abstract.it <bruno.ripa at abstract.it>]

Abstract Open Solutions [http://www.abstract.it]

Tel:  +39 081 06 08 213

Fax:  +39 081 01 12 239

** Per favore non mandatemi allegati in Word o PowerPoint! |
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.it.html **

Ai sensi del d.lgs. 196 del 30 giugno 2003, recante disposizioni per la
tutela delle persone e di altri soggetti rispetto

al trattamento dei dati personali, si precisa che questa email è inviata
unicamente ai destinatari sopra esposti, con

espressa diffida di leggerla, copiarla, diffonderla ed usarla senza
autorizzazione. Se avete ricevuto questa email per

errore, vi preghiamo di distruggerla immediatamente e contattarci tramite
uno dei recapiti sopra indicati.