[Evangelism] Interesting places to market plone

kiazami madarasz.csaba at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:44:41 UTC 2010

Hello,

I would like to add a new, hopefully interesting perspective to Plone
marketing, in the area of government and non-profits.

Since I have been engaged in the e-participation and e-democracy issues on
my professional field as a researcher and playing other roles on the side of
non-profits and businesses, I see, that Plone is really performing well -
and could use this performance on a community and marketing level to improve
the visibility and strenghten existing good development directions.

We hardly see the well documented combination of using opensource software
and excellent documentation, like it can be grabbed at the ecampaigning tool
product http://plone.org/products/ecampaigning-tool (which still needs some
improvement to work on plone3 and lacks the developer community's
recognition of it's importance for NGOs).

The existing integration to Salesforce, the basic level tool for getting in
touch with representatives with  http://plone.org/products/megaphone
Collective Megaphone  , or the basic level "eggified" Opinion suite
http://www.delib.co.uk/products_and_services/opinion-suite with a better
communication focus could make Plone well recognised in the arena.

Of course, as I see, we do lack some focused knowledge management to improve
the communication of social responsible benefits of using open source
software. I do think, that showing strong commitment on supporting
democratic instruments on the developer level is a right behaviour to
improve recognition with some marketing support.

Improved relationship with citizens-members shows the same challenge, how
collective amberjack http://plone.org/products/collective.amberjack is
helping the less advanced users to go step by step...

So, beside the existing presence, I what I have in my mind, is a possible
package in form of tied together software packeges eggified and tuned into
well researched needs of different sectors (like with basic level
ecampaigning and edemocracy with the mentioned products).

However, I know, that many parts of the world is really above these basic
requirements - on the other hand, most part of the worlds democracies,
including governments are still looking for solutions in this field.

Anyhow, I would be extremely happy to participate in writing some sort of a
democracy focused Plone white paper from the e-demorcacy, e-participation
perspective, or to shape somehow the collective efforts to better
communicate the existing good stuff around - and to open paths to combine
and develop them further!
Maybe in a form of an e-government/e-democracy/ngo sprint/camp?

Any thoughts are welcome - btw, I am new on this list, some of you have met
me in Budapest.
Currently working with Balazs at Greenfinity.

with kind regards,
Csaba