[Evangelism] Interesting places to market plone

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Thu Jan 14 05:13:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

Came across this report today [1]. Not sure about the conclusion or
methodology used BUT what struck me is the report uses many different
metrics to determine popularity. The list of metrics could potentially
make for a good todo of areas where could do more to make plone popular.

For instance:

Weekly download rate: Report didn't have data on plone so perhaps we
could report the download count?

Development services on elance etc: These figures weren't too good for
plone but I'd say that's mainly because Plone IMO seems to have more
professional services companies and less solo developers than other
platforms. I'm not sure what we could do to improve this but perhaps
more of us should sign up these services if only to show that there
really are a lot of plone companies out there?

SEO: Interesting that plone doesn't even appear for the google search
"cms" (drupal and joomla and #2 and #3) Even something called "plume"
is in there? Perhaps we're using "content management system" instead
of CMS too much in plone.org content/frontpage? The most relevent hits
on plone.org search for CMS aren't pretty light on content. Anyone
else have any ideas?

Mindshare: Search activity etc has been talked about enough. They also
looked at twitter activity but not for plone. Traditional media
mentions, Blog mentions, google/facebook/myspace groups etc... I guess
we're doing everything we can do about that.

Demo popularity on opensourcecms.com being used as a metric is
annoying since it's PHP only. There has been talk of having a live
demo on plone.org. I'm sure someone has looked at this before but
opensourcecms allows offside demos so I can't see why they wouldn't
link to a demo.plone.org if it was available. They also use the
ratings on opensourcecms.com.

Ultimately it's a report on popularity which doesn't mean "good" and
their conclusions on plone are pretty weak since they seem to be based
only on google activity results but interesting where we could spread
our evangelism efforts.

[1] http://www.cmswire.com/cms/web-cms/survey-most-popular-open-source-cms-002944.php

---
Dylan Jay, Plone Solutions Manager