[Evangelism] Hack Plone! Win a Mac!

Mark A Corum markcorum at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 19:38:01 UTC 2009

+1 on a legitimate slogan like "Secure by Design" or something else
that reflects the fact.

-1,000,000 on creating our own term to describe something which
everyone else already knows by another name.  "Trucolor" and
"Speedboost" are just recent examples of an obnoxious tactic problem
first known by the candy "Certs" advertising itself with "Retsyn for
Freshness"  (Retsyn was their trademarked name for vegetable oil.)
Most folks recognize these for what they are now.

Believe it or not, as audiences become more knowledgeable, the best
tactics for selling your product are clarity and accuracy.  You can
package that in an interesting, engaging way - you can make it
entertaining and fun -  and you can give it personality - but for
something like a CMS a straightforward approach makes sense.

BTW - creating, popularizing and supporting a made-up term is one of
the most expensive things you can do for a product or company.  Most
research shows that the same money put into R&D or customer support
will always yield 3-5 x the return on investment vs this approach
unless you have serious cash to dump in from the outset.

Mark

Mark A Corum
User Interface Designer | Online Marketer | Certified ScrumMaster

markcorum on AOL, Googletalk, MSN, Skype, Meebo, TokBox, Facebook,
Twitter and Yahoo;

"Light up the darkness." - Bob Marley
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who watches the watchmen?) -
Juvenales, Satires
"No matter where you go ... there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai