[Evangelism] Hack Plone! Win a Mac!

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Thu Nov 26 22:53:23 UTC 2009

On 27/11/2009, at 9:00 AM, Mark A Corum wrote:

> Actually, it would show we are arrogant and cavalier about security -
> which are about the worst things you can be in the eyes of an
> enterprise customer.
>
> People who are serious about security TEST the security of their
> software in a professional, systematic way.  They get experts in the
> field and folks who really know what they are doing to make sure
> nothing in their code or deployment is opening up websites to attack
> or possible compromise of data.

I don't disagree with your points below but testing security via
experts is I'm sure what companies like Microsoft do and that hasn't
worked out well for them. FOSS has repeatedly shown that security by
numbers - ie lots of eyes on code rather than "experts" has made for
more secure systems.

> The whole "opening your software to hackers" thing is a stunt - a
> stunt with very little if any upside, and a huge potential downside.
> If someone brings your server to its knees with a Denial of Service
> attack or a weakness in the OS you are running on, you can complain
> from now until eternity that it wasn't "fair" but the only coverage
> you are going to get is "Plone gets hacked."  If no one is able to
> hack the site, its not really something worthy of coverage, now is it?

maybe.

> Afterall, we are already well known as having one of  the best
> security records of any CMS.

I would disagree we are "well known". Plone is general is NOT well
known. It's underwhelmingly unknown given its history and competitive
advantages such as security. When Drurpal can get recommended as an
"enterprise" CMS by Gartner and Alfresco can get away with giving the
their product the label "THE open source enterprise content management
system" I would say we're not well known.
One thing I got out of this years conference is that security is a big
competitive advantage of Plone thats easy to explain and has impact.
We've only just started marketing that to the outside world. Until
Gartner labels us "The secure open source enterprise content
management system" I think we have a lot of work to do.
If stunts aren't the right way to do it at least we're thinking about
it. I'd love to hear some other ideas wouldn't you?