[Evangelism] The State of Drupal

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Tue Nov 24 15:28:54 UTC 2009

Matt,

+1 on your final idea, but perhaps instead set this up on World Plone
Day and in various countries/locations/online.  Recorded sessions that
could be watched later on UStream, YouTube, etc. would be invaluable, I
think.

Thanks for the insight on the ZEA arrangement - I was thinking something
like this could be a possibility, but it sounds as if there are some
details that would need to be worked out to make it run smoothly.  I
think that the corporate CMS vendors I've dealt with in the past have
usually broken leads out into geographic regions, and just like a
franchise, they attempt to not have too much overlap/competition in the
same geo area.  For instance, I know the 1-2 companies who would be the
integrators for a RedDot/OpenText or Day Software project in the Chicago
area.  That's been the case for 5 years with those companies (no new
VAR/partners in the region.)

If we did a ZEA+ type organization, we could similarly 'franchise' it,
segment market by region (and alternate or have a bidding process when
there are multiple vendors in a region), and each participating
organization would pay some fee to have some skin in the game and become
a partner of the network.  The funds of which could be used for
marketing of the org, but also for Plone in general (i.e., I'm not
looking for a Plone integrator until I know more about Plone.)

We would need some legal help and possibly some consulting from a
national sales/partnerships person from the commercial side.  I know a
global partnerships guy at BEA, now Oracle, if there ends up being any
interest later, we might get some advice from him.

-Ken