[Evangelism] The State of Drupal

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Mon Nov 23 20:16:20 UTC 2009

Scott,

Regarding the different approaches, I think it's worth mentioning and
possibly getting some input/material from Chris Johnson at ifPeople on
the concept of 'Social Sourcing'.  He's made some presentations at Plone
conferences on the topic and this is how the PloneGetPaid.com
site/project was run and it worked very well.  Contextual, Groundwire,
Tootsie, Trees For Life, and ifPeople put up some of the initial
funding, with help through for-paid client projects that needed
ecommerce for Plone, and then other organizations kept adding more and
more.  Kapil with the bulk of initial development, then Six Feet Up,
Maurits van Rees, and Red Domino and many others following on with much
more code (to handle shipping, more payment processors, taxes, etc.)

I think it may also help (and open some eyes of those who aren't
familiar with OSS projects) to point to stats/metrics that quantify
efforts on projects such as PGP, but especially for Plone as a whole, on
https://www.ohloh.net/p/plone   This currently indicates over $3M and 43
developer years toward Plone development.  Additionally helpful is the
project summary by Ohloh indicating the project 'velocity' - that
development efforts are increasing year-over-year, it has a large
developer base, establish code base, etc.

By comparison, Ohloh warns in its summary of Drupal that it has a small
development team, though its 4.4/5.0 rating is higher than Plone's 4.2
rating.  Alfresco gets a 3.7 rating, by the way.

-Ken