[Evangelism] The State of Drupal

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Mon Nov 23 17:19:08 UTC 2009

Hi Scott,

I wanted to make sure we linked up at Gilbane; maybe we can discuss in
more depth some pros/cons of Plone versus other systems and you can
determine the best way to position that in the panel discussion without
it being so us-versus-them.  We have a small pedestal display area for
Contextual (www.contextualcorp.com) at the conference.  I know that
Nate/Jazkarta will also be working a Plone booth, so we should all hook up.

We all have our favorite aspects of Plone.  Here is my off-the-cuff list:

Strengths of Plone (with comparison notes you can omit during
discussion, but which provide some context):

BY FEATURE:
1) Ease of Use / In-line Editing:
(Some tools such as Drupal, Fatwire, many others have a separate Admin
UI and 'Preview' mode, rather than just navigating to the page to edit,
change it, save it.  Drupal's admin UI is described as complex and
unintuitive.

2) Flexible Workflow / Fine-grained Permissions:
Many other tools hit a brick wall in this area and Plone really shines
here.  Not only can we have different workflows per content type, but
also per area of the site, and permissions per role can be different per
workflow state for each workflow.  We can also empower some users to
have edit/reviewer rights in some areas of a site, but not others.

3) PAS / Integration with LDAP, OpenID, SQL, SalesForce, and other
custom Pluggable Authentication Services:
Single Sign-On is a deal-breaker for some organizations and through PAS
(combined with web services in some cases), Plone succeeds very well here.

4) Versioning, Visual Diffs, Audit Trail:
Now granted, many of the commercial tools offer even better capabilities
in the versioning/rollback area than Plone (entire site, entire section,
not just content item-specific), but Plone does do well here, and I
believe better than Drupal, but not as well as Alfresco and ezPublish.
But users still fall in love when seeing visual diffs (green/red-lining
of changes) with the ability to instantly rollback to the version they like.

5) Compliance with Standards (Section 508, well-formed XHTML, etc.):
For some orgs, especially government sites, this is a deal-breaker by
law (if a site does not adhere to such standards)

6) Abundance of Free Add-ons to Extend Functionality:
For commercial tools, and even with other open source tools, such as
Drupal and Joomla, well-working and maintained add-on modules/products
typically are sold (e.g. $200 forums module for Joomla, etc.)  In the
Downloads section of Plone.org, there are over 3,000 free, open source
add-on modules.

7) Portlet Management:
Users love being able to add static portlets, collection portlets, RSS
portlets, etc.  Plone got this very right with 3.0!

8) Structured Content Types (Taxonomy):
Plone does a nice job of allowing for custom, structured content types.
Types are not limited to simple pages, files, images, as with some
lightweight CMS tools (some people are calling Wordpress a CMS, for
example.)  While Drupal handles this well TTW with the CCK and Plone has
similar TTW options with ATSchemaEditorNG, Dexterity is on its way,
etc., I think that the more complex the data/content model, the better
Plone does here (RelationshipField/Widget, use of ATVocabularyManager
for SelectionField values, etc.)  Generation of content types/products
via free tools such as ArchGenXML and ArgoUML make it even more tantalizing.

9) Collections / Smart Folders:
Users love seeing that they have the ability to create more complex
listing pages (or portlets with listings), without having to pay a
developer to create them every time they're needed.

10) LiveSearch

BY USE CASE:
1) Microsites / Subsites:
There are various ways to theme a certain folder/page of a site such
that it seems like a separate site.  A common use case is an
association, government agency, or company that needs the experience of
having state-specific websites, but wants the ability to 'roll-up' all
state-specific events/news/etc. into the national website.  This is done
easier on Plone than with many systems and ever more ways are coming out
(lineage.)

2) Seemless Multi-site Experience:
Opposite of use case #1.  With the trend toward use of Deliverance as a
theming approach for Plone (currently is an optional front-end theming
layer), it's very possible to consistently theme ones various SaaS sites
(Plone, cVent, Salesforce, etc.) as one consistent website user
experience.  Sure, Deliverance could be used in front of Drupal,
Vignette or any other CMS-based site as well, but if Deliverance/xdv
becomes more the standard approach for Plone, then we can make the
argument this is easier to do with Plone, there will be documentation to
help do so, etc.  The market is in desperate need of a consistent
theming layer like this that allows one to theme some SaaS application
that the organization has little customization/development control over,
as it is hosted/provided by another vendor that only allows some slight
color theming and replacement of logo.

3) CMS-to-CRM Integration:
 From the feedback I received at our booth at CMSExpo.net last year,
Joomla and Drupal in particular don't quite integrate with Salesforce or
SugarCRM as well, with the more freely available plugins.  There were
commercial/hosted service options that did answer this better, though.
On the commercial CMS side,  the Salesforce connectors are few and
expensive, and some simply act as an IFrame within the CMS, not blended
into the website experience.

4) SEO Improvement:
As with many CMS tools, using Plone to manage site content pretty much
instantly improves Search Engine Optimization/Rankings/Results.  Better
use of keywords, Title tags. alt tags on images/links, proper use of H1
and other heading tags, accessibility options (search engines read a
page similar to the way a screen reader for the visually impaired does),
auto-generation of sitemap.xml.gz file, easy implementation of Google
Analytics code snippet (or other).

5) Security:
There's a reason that Zope is on the Dept of Defense approved OSS
application list and by Plone community accounts is used on fbi.gov and
other security/intelligence-related websites.  And as described on the
plone.org front page, cve.mitre.org results indicate that Plone has the
best security record of any CMS.  Plone's workflow, PAS, and
fine-grained security on a site-wide, section-wide, or
per-content-object basis really seems second to none.

6) Repeatable Deployments:
Generic Setup allows us to easily export TTW settings for workflow,
search, navigation, content actions/views, etc. out as XML that allows
for migrating such configuration options to other Plone sites on the
same or different servers and platforms.  Just listen to the Drupal
folks in the room drool over this one, and likely, even many of the
commercial tool integrators (that rely upon a DBMS to store such
settings, along with site data - have fun separating out just the site
settings you want, when it's time to implement client site #2, 3, or to
promote the settings from dev to production, but without the dev content
data.)

7) No Vendor M&A / Consolidation to Worry About, No Corporate-Owned IP
to Worry About:
While the commercial CMS market has been rampant in recent years with
regard to consolidation (Oracle bought Stellent, OpenText bought
Vignette, RedDot, Gauss, IXOS and others, IBM bought Lotus Notes, MS
bought NCompass Labs, Autonomy bought Interwoven, etc., etc.), I don't
believe customers/adopters/integrators of Plone will be left with no
upgrade path and forced to migrate to another CMS anytime soon.

Plenty of RedDot customers are going to be forced to move to Vignette,
for example, losing significant knowledge of a platform they were
comfortable with.  The same is true for other consolidations - I'm sure
MS has pushed NCompass Labs customers to Sharepoint.

We also don't face the prospect of the Mambo/Joomla (commercial vs. OSS)
fork, as the Plone Foundation, rather than some vendor, controls the IP,
brand, trademark, etc. for Plone.

See you at Gilbane!

Ken Wasetis
Presdient and CMS Solution Architect