[Evangelism] Re: Re: Plone Messaging

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Sat May 9 19:17:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 05 May 2009 23:41:55 -0700, Matt Hamilton
<matth at netsight.co.uk> wrote:

> Now I know that Alex is often (and I hope you don't mind me saying this
> Alex) quite ambitious in his visions for Plone in some of these talks,
> but I think that is a good thing.

:)

That's spot on, my role isn't always to be correct, it's to show what
potential we can realize if we do certain things, and why we want to do
it. I know very well that a lot of the stuff we talk about ends up landing
in a later release — but I have stopped worrying about scheduling. We've
been at this for 8+ years, we have some of the best people in the business
working on our product, and a healthy, fun community. That's what counts,
and why I'm not worried.

> How that will now relate to the release manager type role I'm not sure.
> Ie. I think Hanno would be in a much better position to say what is or
> isn't upcoming. But I think Alex does a very good spokesperson (dare I
> say BDFL?) type role.

I'm probably the de facto BDFL these days, backed up by Hanno, Martin,
Laurence et al on the technical front, which I think is a good solution
too. The vision for the product and the user experience is something that
lends itself to a small group, technical leadership within a certain
domain is easier to distribute.

And I certainly think the structure we have now with release manager (with
veto powers ;) + framework team is a really good solution. Even Mozilla is
interested in how we do these things, and whether there's something they
can learn from it.

> Alex is doing something at the Plone Symposium East for this:
> http://weblion.psu.edu/news/alexander-limi-to-open-plone-symposium-east-2009

And Geir is doing a similar talk at the European Symposium. It will also
be the main focus of the Plone Conference 2009 talk, so it's good that we
have these events a few months earlier to refine and update the message.

> I think this is a great avenue for communicating the message to the
> community on where Plone is going.

One thing we could probably do better is to communicate this outwards.
There's been a resurgence of interest from the press in Plone lately, so
I'm hoping to get this stuff published in publications outside of just the
Ploniverse too.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net