[Evangelism] promoting WPD

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Thu Mar 12 08:04:51 UTC 2009

Chris,

This is probably the most astute comments on Plone I've read.

Plone does have a marketing value proposition problems. It should
either admit its an ECM/consultantware/framework (which is more or
less how we at Pretaweb market it now), or ... well I don't think are
many other niches left for it. With marketing as an ECM Plone has lost
its opportunity with Alfresco getting traction with it's "The open
source ECM" slogan. Plone is possibly the only openly developed high
bus number ECM but that's harder to market. Either way plone doesn't
market itself like this so any individual effort isn't very effective.

In terms of making plone approachable to developers I've been being
trying my best to muddle through ways to get some of this done in the
last year.
With documentation, I've agitated on teh documentation list and
individuals the conference and managed to piss some people off but at
the same time with pushing from plenty of others I think the direction
is better with a focus on manuals being the only "official"
documentation.
The single understandable developer manual is still too daunting
however for the doc team to consider and I agree it shouldn't come
from the doc team but the developers.
Myself and Rok Garbas have been trying to get buyin for a sphnix based
way of publishing plone developer documentation, with the idea that if
plone documentation in svn is visible then it will get written better
(or at all). There are political problems there too.
but perhaps your monetarism idea is what is needed. Perhaps developer
documentation needs to officially taken away from teh docteam and
given to core developers.

All I can think of saying is we need more people like you saying these
things

Also I'm working on a tool called hostout to make hosting more
manageable for amateurs.

Making plone simple enough for amateurs is the only way to grow the
community and survive I think.

---
Dylan Jay, Plone Solutions Manager
www.pretaweb.com