[Evangelism] Re: Plone elevator pitches

Jordan Baker jbb at scryent.com
Thu Mar 5 06:58:55 UTC 2009

Karl Horak wrote:
> Jordan,
>
> I've recently had several short interactions that called for highly crafted
> elevator pitches.  One was to a senior corporate web staffer, another was to
> my level one manager, and the last was to a senior manager.  Each needed an
> answer to a different question.
>
> Corp. Web staff:  How well has Plone been serving you and your customers
> over the last four years?

Some ideas based on my last post's questions.

1. The top pain points they face are:

- keeping up with customer demands / hard to customize existing CMS

- ...

2. Plone provides these solutions for that pain:

- Out of the box Plone provides a powerful content management
constuction kit which any user can use through their web browser without
needed programming knowlege

- Self-service publishing lets you delegate with review capabilities.

- ...

4. Some people say bad things about Plone which we will address:

- It is hard to setup. => The new 3.2 buildout based installer makes
Plone easy to setup and keep up to date.  The buildout technology makes
it easy to install Plone's numerous add-ons as well.

- You need to know Python => Complex portals and web sites can be
created managing thousands of documents without needing to know anything
about python.  Only a customizer would require this.

5. The outcome we want is (eg download, ask for more info, etc):

- download Plone and use the evaluation guide to walk through the
important features

- become excited and make a strong recommendation on the use of plone

I'm sure there's things I missed / are actually incorrect ;)

> Direct Reporting Manager:  Web sites are a dime a dozen these days.  What
> makes this Plone thing different?  How can we turn this capability into new
> projects and departmental growth?

> Senior Manager:  Why should we be using these Web 2.0 technologies at all?

Maybe we can pull in some thinking from other great luminaries out there
regarding this point.

Then point to how Plone can take on some of these things.

> As you can see, some people grok the Web and others don't.  Some see $$,
> others don't.  Getting the context right for a reply is almost as important
> as the elevator pitch itself.

Right, that's why I think we will need a multi dimensional approach the
message.

Jordan