[Evangelism] Plone's Market Share

Karl Horak KEHORAK at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 26 03:51:03 UTC 2009

Cal,

Since O'Reilly is largely invested in book sales, some back of the envelope
calculations with Amazon sales ranks gives me a feeling that Plone book
sales are roughly 1/12 of Drupal's.  Very, very, very approximate.  (I'll
have my quarterly Amazon stats blog posting up within the week.)

Then there's
http://www.waterandstone.com/downloads/2008OpenSourceCMSMarketSurvey.pdf Ric
Shreve's article  on CMS market share that actually ignores market share
sensu strictu and after lots of data gathering, comes up with a heuristic
that identifies WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla as CMS leaders.
Unfortunately, he never calculates a market share for any of those,
including Plone, that he researched.  My feeling is that WordPress isn't a
CMS and Plone should be in the top 3.

The fact that Plone was the 2008 Packt non-PHP CMS should count for
something, too.  See
http://plonemetrics.blogspot.com/2008/11/drupal-plone-dotnetnuke.html my
blog  from last November about the inconsistency of comparing Drupal and
Joomla with Plone based on Packt's results.

Karl