[Evangelism] Re: Re: proposal for plone awards

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Wed Feb 18 08:11:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:31:14 -0800, Chris Calloway
<cbc at unc.edu> wrote:

> The name "Ploney Award" has been floating around for years and its
> "purposefully awful®" sound is part of what makes it so endearing.

It's actually spelled "the Plonies" (as in "the Grammies"), and yes — we
have been discussing this for years. Having the official name be "the
Plone Awards" is probably a good idea, though. Then we can refer to it as
the Plonies inside the community.

It just lacks a person to own it — should be a simple matter of
identifying some categories, set up a timely survey with some good
candidates (as well as a freeform option) before the conference, and keep
it a secret until it's announced at the conference.

Oh, and an awesome Plonies statuette for the winners, of course. ;)

Personally, my opinion is that it shouldn't be a simple popularity
contest, but rather be used as the basis from where the winners are
selected by the judges. This would make it more like the Oscars/Grammies
too — and make it possible to put the spotlight on people/project that get
less attention that they perhaps should have. :)

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net