[Evangelism] Plone is three kinds of flexibile.

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Dec 28 23:38:16 UTC 2009

On 29/12/2009, at 8:02 AM, ejah wrote:

> In addition, I think we are to much focussed on the functionality
> and not
> enough on the customer benefit when explaining Plone. Beside that,
> can we
> paint a picture of our customer? What are the issues he wants to
> resolve or
> avoid? From there we can position Plone in the right manner for this
> particular customer.

Note the original email stated the customer being pitched to was a
corporate needing an intranet. y.

> Personally I have always found it very hard to sell to customers on
> functionality or competitive advantages. It was less difficult when
> focussing on the benefits that we could give them.

The benefit to them was that plone wouldn't be a dead end due to it;s
flexibility.

> I get the strong impression we are struggling with our positioning
> and our
> value proposition.
>
> Further on, is branding and theming a benefit? Any decent CMS out
> there

It is in the context of a corporate intranet. Not everyone wants to
customise or localise the UI of an out of the box intranet but if they
did, many of competing "intranet" products don't allow this as easily.
e.g. sharepoint.