[Evangelism] Plone is three kinds of flexibile.

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Dec 21 21:18:19 UTC 2009

On 22/12/2009, at 2:33 AM, Matt Hamilton <matth at netsight.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2009, at 00:56, Dylan Jay wrote:
>
>> Had a customer presentation on Friday and we gave a new pitch on
>> what Plone's key competitive advantages are (in this case for
>> intranets). Thought I'd share it in case it's helpful to others.
>>
>> Following from Matt's recent "flexibility" ads we said Plone's
>> uniqueness is flexibility in three different dimensions making the
>> its flexibility greater than the sum of its parts. Flexibility
>> makes Plone a kind of intranet construction kit where the "elevator
>> goes all the way up".
>>
>> 1. Theme and branding
>> - because it's a "web" content management system that gets used for
>> public sites
>> 2. Workflow, permissions and hierarchy
>> - because of it's "smart file system" data model. Ability to
>> delegate responsibility in different ways.
>> 3. Functionality and plugins.
>> - because of viewlets, portlets, content rules, content types, ZTK
>> etc - allow third party functionality that slips nicely into
>> Plone's UI. Plone's equivalent of the app store - 3000 plugins.
>>
>> Open source is I guess another dimension to the flexibility but we
>> didn't really go into that as much, e.g. no license restrictions to
>> encumber roll out.
>
> Dylan,
>  That is a fantastic set of points there. I really like it. Keeps
> away from any technical / philosophical issues and just focusses on
> benefits in a way that no other system could really touch.
>
> Do you happen to have your slides available from your presentation?

Actually since your flexible intranet presentation was so good we just
showed some of your slides giving it as an example of the ways  in
which plone can be adapted to an organisation without limit.

In hindsite this approach maybe made plone seem to be needed to be too
customized. We should have combined it with demoing some out of the
box intranet plugin features like wikis blogs and notifications. (We
really need a plone intranet distribution)

We also demoed a reusable multiple reviewer workflow where review
steps and schema can all be edited togeather using dexterity.