[Evangelism] Austin fiasco

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Dec 21 03:34:00 UTC 2009

On 21/12/2009, at 12:28 PM, Dylan Jay wrote:

> Another take home idea from this: if your government is putting out
> tenders that exclude opensource and Plone specifically, creating
> waves can get results. Especially if you can link it to jobs going
> elsewhere.

My use of the words "creating waves" is a little too strong for what I
meant. The way in which we and others in opensource here have done
this is to talk to those in government about removing requirements in
their procurement processes that specifically excluded opensource
solutions. Government to some extent have been responsive to this.
This has taken a long time and is really just about helping them
understand that other models exist and they can get significant
benefits by considering them fairly along with their existing
solutions. Governments respond to the concept of openness and fairness
(and some may respond to the concept of local jobs but that hasn't
been our experience). They respond precisely because they want to
avoid what happened in Austin.
I didn't mean to suggest what those Austin guys did was the right way
of going about it. If the tender has been written it's generally too
late to do anything.