[Evangelism] Plone is three kinds of flexibile.
djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Dec 21 00:56:55 UTC 2009
Had a customer presentation on Friday and we gave a new pitch on what
Plone's key competitive advantages are (in this case for intranets).
Thought I'd share it in case it's helpful to others.
Following from Matt's recent "flexibility" ads we said Plone's
uniqueness is flexibility in three different dimensions making the its
flexibility greater than the sum of its parts. Flexibility makes Plone
a kind of intranet construction kit where the "elevator goes all the
1. Theme and branding
- because it's a "web" content management system that gets used for
2. Workflow, permissions and hierarchy
- because of it's "smart file system" data model. Ability to
delegate responsibility in different ways.
3. Functionality and plugins.
- because of viewlets, portlets, content rules, content types, ZTK
etc - allow third party functionality that slips nicely into Plone's
UI. Plone's equivalent of the app store - 3000 plugins.
Open source is I guess another dimension to the flexibility but we
didn't really go into that as much, e.g. no license restrictions to
encumber roll out.
Dylan Jay, Plone Solutions Manager
More information about the Evangelism