[Evangelism] Austin fiasco

Mark A Corum markcorum at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 23:44:40 UTC 2009

Keep away from this one - you don't want any of it getting on your
shoes.  This has nothing to do with Plone being deficient, and
everything to do with would be politicos wanting to seem sensitive by
buying locally.

Anything we could possibly say has already been said by residents of
the community - read the comments to this article if you have any
doubt:

<http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/cityhall/entries/2009/12/17/city_hires_firm_for_first_stag.html?cxntfid=blogs_city_beat>

The press lives by maximizing the number of people looking at their
pages.  Anything you do to go after them just adds eyeballs.  Its the
perfect example of the old adage - "Never wrestle with a pig - you
both get dirty - and the pig likes it."

Austin is spending $357,000 to analyse what their website needs in
order to succeed.  I'll be interesting in seeing the outcome of that -
as well as the price tag of the actual site when it goes out for bids.

Mark