[Evangelism] Govt Tender and JCR standard

Alexander Limi limi at plone.org
Mon Dec 14 21:44:32 UTC 2009

It's been a while since I was in the business of answering RFPs, but here's
something I used in an RFP that asked for JSR168:

"Plone has a flexible and powerful framework for managing portlets. Portlets
can be developed and shared as separate components and have contracts with
their containing environment, similar to JSR168 and other Java-based
standards. Plone's portlet framework has focused on providing the needed
functionality for Plone. Complying with JSR168 was not considered a priority
in the initial implementation, but is something that can be added if the
deployment requires it. This will add additional development cost."

They usually just ask for these because they are "checkbox items" that they
have been told to ask for. If you can demonstrate similar functionality, and
have the door open for developing integration with Java-based standards
should they ever need it (which almost always ends up not being a priority),
they usually don't see it as a big deal.

--
Alexander Limi · http://limi.net