[Evangelism] Fwd: 2010 Content Technology Vendor Map

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Wed Dec 9 23:27:52 UTC 2009

On 09/12/2009, at 11:20 PM, Matt Hamilton wrote:

> On 9 Dec 2009, at 10:57, Tim Knapp wrote:
>
>> While surfing around today I found this video on YouTube that
>> explains
>> ECM in 'laymans' terms:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DmGNX0ohM
>>
>> And as you say Dylan, it does appear to include 'capturing'
>> documents as
>> one ECM feature.
>

> Well that video would be my definition of Document Management. I
> guess DM is part of ECM and maybe they mean ECM as an umbrella term
> for all CM in an enterprise. But then most vendors distinguish
> between ECM and WCM.

So if we support such things we'd be an ECM. Sounds hard to do but
then look at how alfresco does it?

http://www.alfresco.com/products/solutions/ecm/im/

They have a repository with workflow just like us except they just
integrate with image capture systems and can manage the formats in a
nice enough way to index and display them. Plone doesn't have to do
these things out of the box, it just needs to integrate.
I know at least one group doing TRIM integration with Plone now. If
they open source it then thats one route for image capture into Plone.
I guess what I'm saying is that its probably easier to be classified
as an ECM than we think.