[Evangelism] cost comparison

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Wed Dec 9 04:27:52 UTC 2009

Virginia,

I had mentioned this Sharepoint cost calculator link when adding to
Francesco's blog post comparing Plone and Sharepoint too.  Besides the
cost factor, it couldn't hurt you to re-read his (two-part?) blog post
regarding the Plone vs. Sharepoint comparison.
http://francescociriaci.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/plone-vs-moss-round-1/

I had helped a for-profit university evaluate commercial CMS tools a few
years ago and they chose RedDot.  At the time, the price for their
.Net-based CMS plus their Java-based personalized portal delivery
engine, plus a 'Quick Start' where a small portion of the website was
themed/implemented was to run about $330K in US$.

Teamsite was in that evaluation as well, and their offering is broken up
into many modules, so it's harder to compare, but this client would have
paid a bit more for what they needed from IWOV than what the RedDot (now
OpenText) price was, even.  Probably not a lot more, though.

Seems like the bigger players such as Autonomy/Interwoven/Teamsite,
OpenText/Vignette, etc. are in the 350-500K US$ range by the time you
buy licenses for not only your production servers, but also development
and/or staging.

Not to mention that the per-hour integrator rates I was seeing were in
the $175+/hr range US$, which is 30-40% more than most Plone shops will
charge.

Plus, you should build a comparison that looks at year 2, 3, etc.  With
the commercial tools, the client will be paying 20%/year of license cost
just to keep up with patches/upgrades, no on-site services, just
emergency support, access to the online knowledge base, forums, etc.

If you do a 3-year Total Cost of Ownership comparison, I can't imagine
the other tools, even Sharepoint, coming close to Plone on a financial
basis, but others would disagree.

-Ken