[Evangelism] Fwd: 2010 Content Technology Vendor Map

"Stroß-Radschinski Armin C." developer at acsr.de
Mon Dec 7 18:17:53 UTC 2009

The map is a cool idea for visualisation,
but we need a more Plone centric interpretation of it! ;-)

They mention Plonbe because they cannot omit it.

Very interesting is the position of Plone in a 2008 vendor risk
profile visualisation by CMSWatch, where Plone is only CMS beeing in
the middle of the "Balanced" feature area having a good mix of
development velocity (too quick is turbulenced and not that cool) and
other aspects.
http://www.cmswatch.com/Feature/173-Portals-2008
The evaluation is of course not up to date and cannot cover the
potenttials of the upcoming Plone 4 and 5 releases but can lead to
some new definition of Plone's USP.
Am 07.12.2009 um 05:46 schrieb Dylan Jay:

> If wikipedia is to be believed then my guess is archiving, desktop
> integration and scanning is perhaps what's missing?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_content_management
>
> "New product suites have arisen from the combination of capture,
> search and networking capabilities with technologies of the content
> management field, which have traditionally addressed digital
> archiving, document management and workflow. Generally speaking,
> this is when content management becomes enterprise content
> management. The different nomenclature is intended to encompass all
> of the problem areas related to the use and preservation of
> information within an organization, in all of its forms — not just
> its web-oriented face to the outside world."
>
> I know systems like TRIM handle imaging and archiving etc which
> plone doesn't normally integrate with. Sharepoint integrates with
> exchange and desktop sharing in ways Plone doesn't do as
> comprehensively. Anyone familiar with Alfresco know what it can do
> that Plone doesn't that qualifies as ECM?

Sorry, I am not familiar with Alfresco.
But we use internally scanning document PDF directly into Plone via
FTP. With the pdftoocr Plone product you can make scanned documents
searchable. Maybe this adresses some of the points.http://plone.org/products/pdftoocr

Everybody using Plone and being in competition with Sharepoint etc.
should know and do some evaluation http://www.cyn.in a Plone 3 based
collaboration suite. There a some very cool workarounds for poor
solutions in the Plone UI (i.e. tagging with keywords, recycle bin
(space risky but necessary for revision proof deleting.), Mindmap
based sitemap, high throughput commenting with microblogging desktop
client based on adobe air.

Cyn.in is catching a lot of ECM use-cases Plone can only match with
integration work and "hell" they promote it in a very professional
way. There is still a lot of stuff you need / can do integrating Plone/
cyn.in with other products to make it real cool. So take this part of
the family on the Photo!

When we want Plone to be listed as a well known competitor, there
should be official bundled "Plone with ECM taste" releases like the
Plone4Education or Plone4Artists distributions for adressing the
target groups.

The drawback is that the plone foundation efforts to promote Plone as
a whole is exploded into micro activities when this is done in
parallel tasks. Even when a team is able to force this in one year,
there is the risk for investors that there is growing a dead branch
sticking with a particular version the next time. The same is with the
in general cool idea using Plone for NAS USP activity.

At last we need to focus what we can manage!

Kind regards

Armin Stroß-Radschinski
--

Armin Carl Stroß-Radschinski
ACSR industrialdesign

Phone +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 94
FAX +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 96
http://www.acsr.de
eMail info at acsr.de
UST. ID Nr: DE154092803
___________________________

acsr delivers design and innovative functionality for products and
publications. acsr integrates most of the current bandwidth of media-
and industry-technology into the environment marketing, manufacturing
and enterprise-communications. The network of the partners associated
with acsr delivers solutions tailored precisely to the needs and
budgets of the customer.
___________________________

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the
unlawful.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in
this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the
governing client engagement letter or contract. If you have received
this e-mail in error please forward to postmaster at acsr.de .

Die in dieser E-Mail enthaltenen Informationen sind vertraulich und
können von rechtlicher Bedeutung sein. Diese Mail ist ausschließlich
für den Adressaten bestimmt und jeglicher Zugriff durch andere
Personen ist nicht zulässig. Falls Sie nicht der beabsichtigte
Empfänger sind, ist jegliche Veröffentlichung, Vervielfältigung,
Verteilung oder sonstige in diesem Zusammenhang stehende Handlung
untersagt und unter Umständen ungesetzlich.
Alle von uns an unsere Kunden gerichteten Meinungen oder Empfehlungen
in dieser E-Mail stehen als Beratungsleistung im Zusammenhang mit den
Geschäftsbedingungen aus unseren Klientenverträgen oder -
vereinbarungen. Falls Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
leiten Sie sie bitte weiter an:postmaster at acsr.de .

--
Armin Carl Stroß-Radschinski, Dipl. Designer
acsr industrialdesign, Landgrafenstraße 32, 53842 Troisdorf, Germany

Telefon +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 94, FAX +49 (0) 22 41 / 94 69 96
eMail developer at acsr.de - http://www.acsr.de

UST. ID Nr: DE154092803