[Evangelism] Fwd: 2010 Content Technology Vendor Map

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Mon Dec 7 04:46:42 UTC 2009

On 04/12/2009, at 7:25 PM, Maurizio Delmonte wrote:

> Ciao Godefroid! :)
>
> Unfortunately Dylan is right..
>
> Plone is pushed on the "low" side of the chart.. and is not on "ECM"
> line, but *only* on
> "Enterprise Portal", "Web Content Management" and "Social Software
> and Collaboration" lines,
> which connotates Plone as quite peculiar.
>
> What i feel about the *why": probably they take into account just
> the Plone out-of-the-box experience,
> which to be considered an ECM at version 3.x is missing at least:
>
> - a good *blobs story* out-of-the-box (which version 4 is solving
> really well)
>
> - a good *index&search story*, which we can deploy only thanks to
> extensions (collective.solr above all the rest..)

If wikipedia is to be believed then my guess is archiving, desktop
integration and scanning is perhaps what's missing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_content_management

"New product suites have arisen from the combination of capture,
search and networking capabilities with technologies of the content
management field, which have traditionally addressed digital
archiving, document management and workflow. Generally speaking, this
is when content management becomes enterprise content management. The
different nomenclature is intended to encompass all of the problem
areas related to the use and preservation of information within an
organization, in all of its forms — not just its web-oriented face to
the outside world."

I know systems like TRIM handle imaging and archiving etc which plone
doesn't normally integrate with. Sharepoint integrates with exchange
and desktop sharing in ways Plone doesn't do as comprehensively.
Anyone familiar with Alfresco know what it can do that Plone doesn't
that qualifies as ECM?