Re: [Evangelism] Strategy focus decisions - Plone-the-product vs. Plone-the-platform – Discovering a blog entry by Paul Everitt from 2008

Ken Wasetis [Contextual Corp.] ken.wasetis at contextualcorp.com
Tue Dec 1 17:13:57 UTC 2009

Matt,

It would be great to get a list of the things Plone would need to do to
be considered categorized as Enterprise by CMS Watch.

If I were to venture a guess, it might be:

1) Gartner and/or Forrester have a good rating on this CMS

2) Have a large vendor behind the product that provides a
warranty/support, similar to RedHat with Linux; training and
integrators, we handle pretty well already, I think.

3) Support for open (and other) standards, such as CMIS and DoD Records
Management, and out-of-box connectors with 'Enterprise' databases that
shops already support, such as Oracle and MS SQL Server, as Alfresco has
done:
a) DoD RM:
http://www.cmswire.com/cms/document-management/alfresco-achieves-dod-501502-records-management-certification-005684.php

b) CMIS:
http://www.optaros.com/blogs/alfresco-drupal-cmis-integration-available

c) Enterprise version of Alfresco supports Enterprise DBMS

4) Other standards that the usually Java-based CMS tools support and
that sometimes appear on Enterprise CMS RFPs I see are JSR-170 (content
repository standard) and JSR-168.

I know it seems silly that a client would basically be locking itself
into Java by mandating that a CMS support these two standards (maybe
that's not true, though), but it is yet another brick in the wall in
getting into the Enterprise market.

This articles illustrates a twist, though, that applies to public sites
and those of a more collaborative, community-contributing nature with
respect to a shift in handling of portlet standards, and I think is a
good response to would-be CMS clients:
http://blogs.alfresco.com/wp/luissala/2008/12/09/goodbye-jsr-168-and-wsrp-portlets-hello-opensocial-gadgets/

5) Terabyte storage solutions.  Documentum and their DMS-based ilk have
handled this for years.  How many large-scale storage Plone case studies
are there on plone.net?  Many a time, Plone integrators can't discuss
the few successes that may exist here.  Hopefully, this story improves
with BLOB storage in Plone 4.

I'm really interested to hear what their answer is though.  Thanks Matt!

Ken