[Evangelism] Article: Is Plone a Good CMS

Karl Horak KEHORAK at sandia.gov
Mon Aug 3 15:04:25 UTC 2009

Matt Hamilton wrote:

> So is this a good thing? What does it mean to the Plone community? Are
> there companies out there that say something like 'We normally use
> Vignette, but in this smaller case we will use Plone'?
>
> At the moment I think we are often trying to pitch against the big
> boys saying our system can do everything they can. But maybe the
> message that Umbraco is using is 'we are lighter/smaller/quicker/
> cheaper etc' than the big boys. I know in reality Plone can/does use
> both messages.
>
> What are your thoughts? I want to gather them up to send to Janus.
>
> -Matt

Our corporate IT folks have been studying enterprise CMS for years.  Our
internal portal has gone from Vignette to Oracle to (probably) JBoss.
SharePoint is used for a tremendous number of internal collaboration sites.

Meanwhile, for external use, my small group has been using Plone for over 5
years and its success is starting to catch the attention of corporate
decision-makers.

Gotta busy day and will expand in detail later.

Karl