[Evangelism] Article: Is Plone a Good CMS

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon Aug 3 09:56:58 UTC 2009

On 23 Jul 2009, at 09:34, Matt Hamilton wrote:

> On 21 Jul 2009, at 21:00, Matt Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Janus Boye just published an article entitled 'Is Plone a Good CMS?'
>>
>> http://www.jboye.com/blogpost/is-plone-a-good-cms/
>>
>> A fairly even article saying basically 'Danish Govt say Plone is a
>> good CMS, but is it fair that they pick one?'
>
> There are some fantastic comments at the bottom of this post now by
> Martin Aspeli and Ken Wasetis. Great work guys, some nice insights
> into 'big firm' consulting and how they go about things.

In a further development on this, I privately emailed Janus to ask him:

"One question to a point slightly raised on your
post. You mention that Plone consulting companies are generally quite
small.  How does this compare to the other Open Source systems you
mentioned, ie. Umbraco, Liferay, Typo3? Do they have larger consulting
companies?"

As I was genuinely interested to see if Plone consulting companies are
*really* smaller than others, or if it is just a perception thing. His
response as this:

"I would say Umbraco has been the most successful in attracting larger
consulting companies. I am speculating this may be due to large
consultancies with .NET skills using Umbraco as a low-end alternative to
commercial systems such as EPiServer and Sitecore.

Let me know your thoughts and then I'll write a blog about it."

This is a very interesting point. So he is saying that there are some
larger companies using other .NET CMSs such as EPiServer and Sitecore,
but when that company needs to do something low end they are using
Umbraco.

So is this a good thing? What does it mean to the Plone community? Are
there companies out there that say something like 'We normally use
Vignette, but in this smaller case we will use Plone'?

At the moment I think we are often trying to pitch against the big
boys saying our system can do everything they can. But maybe the
message that Umbraco is using is 'we are lighter/smaller/quicker/
cheaper etc' than the big boys. I know in reality Plone can/does use
both messages.

What are your thoughts? I want to gather them up to send to Janus.

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk